Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Dream To Fulfil

          
          People have often asked me about my ultimate goal, the one desire that I wish to fulfil so dearly. And my answer to them has always been “a trip to Old Trafford to see Manchester United play.” Yes, one day I dream of sitting in the Stretford End at Old Trafford and watching my club Manchester United play at their best. From my childhood days, United have been the only football club I have supported and it will always remain that way till I die. It means something more than a football club to me, it’s my religion, it’s my belief now. The passion which arouses within me when I see United play is something that I can never express in words. Perhaps my passion for cricket in general and Indian Cricket in particular is something that may just come near it. I sometimes wonder what a poignant scene it would be to watch my heroes play infront of my eyes sitting in Old Trafford. Wow, even such a thought fills my heart with jubilation, the reality, well, it will certainly be something inexplicable.
Infact, my first real encounter with international football was during the World Cup in France in the summer of ’98. People remember that WC for a certain genius by the name of Zinedine Zidane who mesmerized the whole world with his skills and trickery. I for one remember the event for something else, it was my introduction into the beautiful game called Football. For we Indians, perhaps there is nothing else which even comes close to Cricket and I agree, it should be that way because that is what we are best at. But perchance after WC’98, the avid cricket fan inside me faced a tough opposition from the ever-growing passionate football follower within me. The introduction was great but what followed has perhaps transformed me from just a sports lover to an ardent football follower. After WC’98 my interest in football started growing exponentially and I started following it on ESPN. Though I didn’t really used to watch each and every match but still on weekends, did tune on the TV and watch football as much as I can. I didn’t know who all were playing but they were certainly not France, Brazil or Argentina and I couldn’t find Suker as well. Oh! I forgot to tell you about him, Davor Suker, my hero of WC’98. He was the top-scorer in that edition and being a striker, it was obvious that he will attract attention from a newbie like me. It’s a different thing that later I came to know that he played for Real Madrid and Arsenal, two of the clubs that I really dislike or you can simply say hate. As I started following it more and more, I found a team wearing red and white jersey were playing really attacking and great football and I just loved it. They were Manchester United. It was completely incidental though that, that was the very year in which they won “The Treble”. And it(supporting United) was something that came naturally, not predecided because it used to greatly sadden me when they lost a match and my joy knew no bounds when they won one. So, I decided come hell or high water, I am gonna be a United supporter till I die. And thus started an unending and loyal relationship. As my resources increased, I started collecting more information about the team and the game I truly loved, till then it was only ESPN. I think ESPN deserves accolades for the way it has helped in the promotion of football in this region of the world. India perhaps is one of Manchester United's largest fanbases. I don’t know officially but can say this with utmost confidence that Manchester United is the most followed club in India, way ahead of any other club. And I am one of those followers ;) ;).
Oops! Sorry, I was to tell you about my dream and here I am telling you my story. In reality, my ultimate dream may sound absurd to some, hence, it’s sometimes better to give an explanation. Returning back to my dream, well, I know that someday I’ll be there at the Stretford End cheering for my heroes. But maybe, somewhere, a part of that dream will remain unrealized. I know I’ll never be able to see the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Keane, Beckham play for United again. But I just hope that the day I eventually fulfil my dream, the likes of Rooney and Fletcher will still be wearing United’s colour proudly.

Glory glory Man United,

Glory glory Man United,

Glory glory Man United,

As the reds go marching up up up!

P.S.: Originally Dated: 28th August, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment